Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beignet

So I have put a new dessert on the menu called "beignets". Using liquid nitrogen I am able to dip scoops of roasted banana ice cream into a beignet batter and fry it. The result is a light crispy beignet filled with frozen banana ice cream. I was somewhat surprised by the customers' feedback. Many of our "old school" diners did not hesitate to tell their servers, "NOW I've been to New Orleans.... (this is how they all started their statements).... and this is NOT a beignet...." So the server would ask..."Oh, I am sorry, but did you not like the dessert?" and to the reply of the diner.. "oh no, it is the best beignet I have ever had." I mean c'mon people! Its banana ice cream filled doughnuts!!!! The beignets are also served with a passion fruit curd, a passion fruit jam, roasted banana-clove puree, clove shortbread, and a butterscotch made with japanese black sugar. This sugar is awesome and goes incredibly well with the flavors of the roasted banana. It is a completely raw and unrefined sugar that is very dark, literally almost black. It has intense molasses and caramel notes and the staff at the restaurant love snacking on it like candy. It makes a great caramel that almost looks burnt because it is so dark, but it tastes perfectly bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment