Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brioche (with recipe)






I have been working diligently on developing my brioche. I have been obsessing over getting the perfect brioche (in my mind of course). I love having a brioche dessert on the menu. Right now its, Brioche doughnuts / yuzu curd / wild blueberries / bee pollen / buttermilk ice cream. I am lucky enough to get to work with bread guru and author, Charlie Van Over. I have taken various recipes, Charlie's advice and the advice of my good friend Matt (the baker at Arrows) to develop this recipe I have posted below.  After much experimentation, I am very happy with this recipe. It is great for baking, but it is amazing for doughnuts.


Yield: 2000 g approximately

1078 g all purpose flour
36 g salt
162 g sugar
13 g dry-active yeast

250 g milk (room temperature)
405 g whole eggs (room temperature)
540 g diced butter (room temperature)

- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the milk and eggs. Place the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt on top.
- Mix on speed 1 until the dough comes together. Mix for another 4 minutes.
- Turn machine up to speed two and add one third of the butter
- Continue mixing while adding the diced butter a few pieces at a time.
- Once all the butter is added, mix until full gluten development - about 20 minutes
- Place the dough in a floured bowl, cover, and bulk ferment the dough in a warm place for an hour
- When the dough has doubled in size, relax the dough in the fridge for another hour or two
- Roll the dough, cut, proof and cook accordingly!


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment